Latest News

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

President Eun-Ju Lee November Column: Passionate Pursuit of the Truth

• 1.  President Eun-Ju Lee November Column: Passionate Pursuit of the Truth

Posted 11-01-2023 17:12
    Posted By Eun-Ju Lee, ICA President, (Seoul National U)

While most of our members were working tirelessly on their submissions to #ICA24, I had some special experiences that led me to reflect upon what we do. On Oct. 19th, the Chairman of the New York Times Company and the publisher of the New York Times, A.G. Sulzberger, paid a visit to Seoul National University, where I am on the faculty. I was invited to moderate a fireside chat with him, joined by Carolyn Ryan (Managing Editor) as well as Sang-Hun Choe (Seoul Bureau Chief). It was indeed a privilege, for I had the opportunity to pose several burning questions that had been on my mind. How we can advocate for freedom of the press when many, if not most, people don't trust legacy news outlets? What steps can the press take to fight misinformation and disinformation, especially when people believe partisan news outlets are the ones to blame? How is user analytics incorporated into different phases of news production at the Times, and is there a risk of prioritizing what people want over what they need? I didn't necessarily embrace the skepticism or even cynicism underlying these questions, but I was eager to hear their perspectives.

I won't recapitulate their responses here, but what struck me was a remarkable resemblance between what journalists (should) do and what we, communication scholars, (should) do: We all seek the truth, and in doing so, we help people better understand the world as well as ourselves. In pursuing these goals, it is crucial to maintain humility. To me, doing research is, in essence, a humbling experience. Based on careful and critical examination of existing theories and previous findings, we make informed guesses. We earnestly attempt to falsify our own predictions (albeit hoping that they will survive), actively engage with alternative views, and accept what the data reveal even when they prove us wrong. To stay mindful of our own fallibility is the very mindset we should hold on to when conducting research, and it is no different for journalists who strive to report facts "without fear or favor." 

I also had the pleasure of attending an ICA-affiliated regional conference held at Atma Jaya Catholic U in Jakarta, Indonesia, with the theme "Revisit Communication: Integrating the Basics with Digital." Dr. Dorien Kartikawangi, Chair of the ICA Indonesia Chapter, successfully organized the 7th International Conference on Corporate and Marketing Communication in a hybrid format, with over 150 participants. It was incredibly encouraging to witness the active involvement of students and early-career scholars in the program, and I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of vibrant conversations with them. They were eager to learn how they could apply what I had shared to their own projects in the local context.

Immediately following the ICCOMAC, there was another ICA regional conference in Bali, where two former ICA presidents, Drs. Claes de Vreese and Noshir Contractor delivered keynote addresses. There is no doubt that many exciting opportunities are brewing up, laying a solid foundation for an academic community that serves communication scholars in the region. Needless to say, I am thrilled to be a part of this journey and look forward to brainstorming how ICA can further support such endeavors. Now, getting back to ICA submissions!

------------------------------
    Tom Mankowski
    ICA
    Washington DC
    United States

• 2.  RE: President Eun-Ju Lee November Column: Passionate Pursuit of the Truth

FELLOW
    Posted 02-22-2024 12:07

I fully agree with ICA President Eun-Ju Lee that there is a similarity between what we as scholars should do and what journalists should do-pursue truth as best we can determine it.  In fact, I co-authored an article with Professor Maxwell McCombs on the relationship between journalism and social science that appeared in Public Opinion Quarterly in 1980.  Here is the citation for those who are interested:  

David H. Weaver and Maxwell E. McCombs, "Journalism and Social Science:  A New Relationship?" Public Opinion Quarterly 44, 4 (Winter 1980),  pp. 477-494.

David Weaver
    Distinguished Professor Emeritus
    Indiana University
    Bloomington IN
    United States