The moment has finally come – this is the last President-Elect column that I will write, which means that #ICA23 is just around the corner! For the past months, I've highlighted research sessions and programs that comprise the core of #ICA23, but that's not all. Our dedicated staff at ICA Headquarters has been working tirelessly to prepare a range of social, fun-packed events as well as special services for the best conference experience. Let me count what #ICA23 has in store for you.
- ICA Opening Reception (May 25th, 7:30-9:30PM, Stackt Market). This off-site, outdoor event promises to be the perfect way to kick off our annual get-together! It will take place at Stackt Market, with a collection of food trucks and boutique artisan stalls featuring Toronto's finest independent culinary and visual artists. Food and two beverages are included, with an additional cash bar for those who want more! You will gain entry to the ICA area with a QR code downloadable from the conference app.
- ICA Ice Cream Social (May 27th, 12:45-1:45PM, Sheraton Exhibit Hall). If you're like me, you won't want to miss the ICA's first-ever Ice Cream Social. Yours truly, along with other EC members, can't wait to serve you a scoop of your favorite flavor.
- ICA Kids' Picnic (May 28th, 12:30-2:30PM, Sheraton Waterfall Garden). Join us for a casual lunchtime picnic with your kids for some fresh air, sunshine, picnic fare, and fun activities. Commiserate on the struggles of parenting in academia and make new parent friends. Also, if you need childcare during the conference, please sign up at https://www.icahdq.org/mpage/ICA23-childcare to secure your child's space.
- Journals Social Hour (May 28th, 12:30PM, Sheraton Exhibit Hall). We have revamped the "Meet the Editors" session to allow more one-on-one interactions with the editors of both ICA and non-ICA journals. In the Exhibit Hall, the editors will be at the booth of their respective publisher, so simply drop by, ask questions, and get useful tips.
- ICA New Member, Student, & Early Career Scholar Orientation (May 27th, 10:30-11:45AM, Grand Ballroom East, also Livestream). With hundreds of sessions and thousands of attendees, ICA can be intimidating and overwhelming to many who have just begun their academic journey (it was, and still is to me, albeit to lesser degrees). EC members will share their personal experiences with ICA in particular, and academia in general. Also, don't forget the ICA Student & Early Career Scholars' Reception (May 28th, 8-10PM, Provincial North), where you can connect with emerging scholars from all corners of the world.
- ICA Presidential Address, Fellows' Induction, Awards Ceremony & Member Meeting (May 27th, 4:30-5:45PM, Grand Ballroom East, also Livestream). We will recognize the very best of ICA, be it research, mentorship, or career achievement, with special awards. Another cohort of ICA Fellows will be inducted and the ceremony will conclude with ICA President Noshir Contractor's presidential address.
- ICA Closing Toast (May 29th, 4:30-5:45PM, Sheraton Waterfall Garden). If you haven't already hit the road, please join us in celebrating another successful conference and congratulating our fabulous staff on their job well done!
Lastly, I'd like to thank our partner associations and many universities for hosting receptions, providing extra venues where our members can catch up with old friends and make new ones. Your continued support helps build the ICA community stronger. See you all soon, either in person or online!